Communications and marketing leaders in higher education need to be able to answer the following questions to navigate an increasingly complex reputation management landscape. Together, they represent key inputs for an effective brand strategy that puts the right stories and messages in front of the right people, at the right time — in ways that are authentic and proactive.
- Who are our key stakeholders? (prospective students, current students, alumni, faculty, etc.)
- What do they value most — or not value — in their relationship with our institution? (personally, professionally, experientially, etc.)
- What values drive their decision-making? (equitable access, accountability, academic freedom, institutional autonomy, social responsibility, etc.)
- Where/how do they get they news and information?
- When they consume news and information are they seeing/engaging with content about our institution that aligns to their values and what they value?